You will need to move into temporary accommodation while your home is being rebuilt or repaired.

The following video helps to explain the temporary accommodation process, and what some of the options are.

temp accom 2


Temporary accommodation allowance eligibility

If your house is unfit to live in due to damage caused by an earthquake, as part of your AMI Contents policy, you may be entitled to a temporary accommodation allowance of up to 25% of the sum insured on your Contents policy at the time of the loss, or for twelve months (cumulative), whichever is reached first. The reason we state ‘up to’ is because we calculate your actual entitlement based on your rebuild/repair timeframe and your accommodation needs, factoring in current market rates and what is reasonable. We will pay your actual entitlement, the 12 months maximum allowance or the 25%, whichever is the lesser amount. Southern Response will pay for reasonable accommodation costs for you and your immediate family residing with you. This allowance also covers kennel or cattery fees for domestic pets. Please note that you are responsible for sourcing your temporary accommodation.


Applying for a temporary accommodation allowance

Call the temporary accommodation team on 0800 501 525 or email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to discuss your entitlements under your policy.


Important information to know

  • Before you make any temporary accommodation arrangements, please call us to discuss your entitlements
  • We need you to provide two quotes for storage and removal costs. These can be suppliers of your choice (please note that storage costs are only applicable under the Advanced Contents policy, up to a maximum of $2000 coverage).

You can either email or post the required information.

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Postal address:
Southern Response Temporary Accommodation Team
PO Box 9052, Tower Junction, Christchurch 8149

Your claim for your allowance will be approved as soon as:

  • Your policy entitlements have been confirmed
  • The dates for your repair or rebuild are confirmed, and
  • We’ve checked that the accommodation arrangement is reasonable


Your temporary accommodation allowance limit

Your temporary accommodation allowance will come to an end if any of the following occur:

  • You move back into your home
  • You move into permanent accommodation (ie, if you purchase a new home or find a new permanent rental)
  • You have exhausted your 25% contents sum insured allowance
  • You have exhausted the maximum cumulative period (12 months) for temporary accommodation


Further assistance with temporary accommodation

The Government established the Canterbury Earthquake Temporary Accommodation Service (CETAS) as a temporary accommodation service and financial assistance initiative. If your temporary accommodation allowance under your contents policy has run out, you may apply for additional accommodation assistance through this initiative.
For more information or to download an application form visit: or phone 0800 673 227